With Earth Day 2019 just around the corner, we wanted to highlight some of the brilliant work by our Lovell Homes North West team which supports this year’s theme of ‘Protect Our Species’.
In January this year our North West region encouraged residents and homebuyers to take part in the RSPB’s Big Garden Birdwatch - the world’s largest garden wildlife survey, which enables the RSPB to monitor trends and helps them create a snapshot of bird numbers across the UK. As a thank you (from the birds and Lovell Homes NW), the team are gifting official RSPB nest boxes to all purchasers who bought a Lovell home in the NW region during January to help give nature a home.
At The Laureates in Cockermouth, the NW team has protected a wonderful wildflower area to encourage bees and wildlife to the area. The area which is a wild meadow mixture is self-seeding with native species and has been left to grow and flourish naturally.
Recycling is an essential message on Earth Day and earlier this month our team at St Jeromes in Beswick in Manchester donated thousands of metres of wood and surplus building materials to joinery students at Manchester College for them to use as part of their practical studies. Recycling and supporting future talent!
What can you do for Earth Day on Monday 22 April?
Here are some simple and easy tips from Earth Day to help you go green, protect the earth, save money and make every day Earth Day!
- Join Earth Day Network’s campaign to Protect Our Species.
- Join Earth Day Network’s campaign to End Plastic Pollution.
- Join a local park, river or beach clean-up.
- Donate your old clothes and home goods instead of throwing them out. When you need something, consider buying used items.
- Change your paper bills to online billing. You’ll be saving trees and the fuel it takes to deliver your bills.
- Read documents online instead of printing them.
- Set your office printer to print two-sided.
- Collect used printer, fax, and copier cartridges to recycle.
- Take reusable bags when you shop.
- Compost kitchen scraps for use in your garden — turning waste into fertiliser.
- Turn off lights when you leave a room.